Michael Thomsen MSc, ND
Michael Thomsen is a Naturopath with over 30 years’ experience. Originally from Denmark, Michael completed studies in Naturopathy and Herbal Medicine in Sydney, graduating in 1986. He has a Master of Science, from the Graduate School of Integrative Medicine, Swinburne University.
Michael has extensive industry experience as past technical manager of leading herbal medicine companies in Australia. He is the author of the popular Phytotherapy Desk Reference now in its fourth edition having sold 16,000 copies worldwide.
- Michael Thomsen, Fasting for health and longevity – from calorie restriction to intermittent fasting and the fasting-mimicking diet, 11th Herbal and Naturopathic International Conference, 29-23 March, 2019, Melbourne, Australia
- Michael Thomsen, Fasting for health and longevity – from calorie restriction to intermittent fasting and the fasting-mimicking diet. Australasian College for Nutritional and Environmental Medicine. Webinar April 2019
- Michael Thomsen, Fasting-mimicking diet: Case presentaion. Australasian College for Nutritional and Environmental Medicine. Annual Conference, Melbourne May 2018
- Michael Thomsen, The Efficacy and Safety of Probiotics in Chemoradiotherapy-induced Mucositis. Poster NIIM Integrative Medicine: The art & science, 4th Annual Symposium 2017. Friday 24th November. Richmond, Melbourne
- Michael Thomsen, The Intestinal Microbiome, Chemotherapy and Adjuvant Treatments with Probiotics November 2017 Clinical Oncological Society of Australia (COSA) 44th Annual Scientific Meeting, Enhanced Supportive Care, Preconference Workshop, 13–15 November 2017, In: Asia-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology Volume: 13 Supplement 4:98
- Michael Thomsen, Know Your Options Annual Conference, Hyperthermia in the Australian Setting, Sydney, November 11-12, 2017
- Michael Thomsen, Know Your Options Annual Conference, Hyperthermia in Cancer Therapy, Sydney, September 24-25, 2016
- Thomsen, M, Schmidt, M Commercialisation of Saffron, 3rd International Symposium on Medicinal Plants, Their Cultivation and Aspects of Uses, 2013
- Epigenetics, Nutrigenomics and Cancer, Danish Association for Phytotherapy, Copenhagen, May 2012
- Epigenetics and Cancer, NHAA, Hobart Chapter Meetings 2011
- Nutrigenomics and herbal medicine, NHAA, Hobart Chapter Meetings, 2011
- John’s wort Interactions, 7th International Conference on Phytotherapeutics, 21-23 September, 2010, Tweed Heads, Australia
- Thomsen M, Vitetta L. Zinc deficits, mucositis, and mucosal macrophage perturbation: is there a relationship? Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2019 Sep;22(5):365-370. doi: 10.1097/MCO.0000000000000588.
- K. Kuchta, M. Thomsen, T. Scior, M. Schmidt Interaction with St. John’s wort due to exposure with blackcurrant aroma? How not to present a case report of an adverse event Pharmazie 74 (2019)
- Thomsen, M., S. Clarke and L. Vitetta (2018). "The role of adjuvant probiotics to attenuate intestinal inflammatory responses due to cancer treatments." Benef Microbes: 1-18.
- Thomsen, M. and L. Vitetta (2018). "Adjunctive Treatments for the Prevention of Chemotherapy- and Radiotherapy-Induced Mucositis." Integr Cancer Ther: 1534735418794885.
- Saltzman, E.T. Palacios, T. Thomsen, M. Vitetta, L. Intestinal microbiome shifts, dysbiosis, inflammation and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease Frontier Immunology. Front. Microbiol. | doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2018.00061
- Vitetta L, Saltzman ET, Thomsen M, Nikov T, Hall S.Adjuvant Probiotics and the Intestinal Microbiome: Enhancing Vaccines and Immunotherapy Outcomes. Vaccines (Basel). 2017 Dec 11;5(4). pii: E50. doi: 10.3390/vaccines5040050. Review. Erratum in: Vaccines (Basel). 2018 May 15;6(2)
- Saltzman E.T, Thomsen, M., Hall, S. Vitetta, L. Mar Drugs. Perna canaliculus and the Intestinal Microbiome. (2017) 15 (7)
- Coulson, S. Thomsen, M. Vitetta, L. Clinical research with probiotics: methodological and regulatory Probiotics, D–Lactic Acidosis, Oxidative Stress and Strain Specificity. Gut Microbes. Gut Microbes. 2017 Jan 12:1-12
- Thomsen, Michael Integrative oncology in Australia E-poster presentation 2014 World Cancer Congress (#1095)
- Schmidt M, Thomsen M, Kelber O, Kraft K Myths and facts in herbal medicines: Eleutherococcus senticosus (Siberian ginseng) and its contraindication in hypertensive patients Botanics: Target and Therapy 2014:4 Pages 27—32
- Schmidt M, Thomsen M, Schmidt U. Suitability of Ivy Extract for the Treatment of Paediatric Cough. Phytother Res. 2012 Apr 25.
- Schmidt M, Thomsen M, Bone, K Tribulus terrestis-induced nephrotoxicity? Nephrol Dial Transplant (2011) 0: 1–2
- Thomsen M, Gennat, H. Phytotherapy Desk Reference, 4th Edition, 2010, published by Global Natural Medicine
- Thomsen M, Schmidt M, Vitetta L, Sali A Do herbs increase the risk of herb–drug interactions for patients with arthritis? Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 2005;64:1527-1528
- Thomsen M, Flannery G, Vitetta L, Schmidt M Herbal preparation – ginseng and dang gui ten combination (PS10) and immune response in humans. Poster presentation International Congress on Natural Products Research July 31 – August 4, 2004 Phoenix, Arizona USA
- Thomsen M, Schmidt M: Hepatotoxicity from Cimicifuga racemosa? Recent Australian case report not sufficiently substantiated. Alt. Compl. Med. 9(3), in press (2003).
- Thomsen M, Schmidt M: Hepatotoxizität durch Cimicifuga racemosa? Die Kausalität in einem aktuellen Verdachtsfall aus Australien ist nicht ausreichend begründet [Hepatotoxicity from Cimicifuga racemosa? Recent Australian case report not sufficiently substantiated]. Phytother. 24: 11-14 (2003).
- Vitetta L, Thomsen M, Sali: A Black cohosh and other herbal remedicies associated with acute hepatitis MJA 2003; 178 (8): 411-412
- Thomsen M: Andrographis paniculata. Natural Pharmacy 2003; July/Aug 10-11
- Thomsen M: John’s wort, Turmeric and Olive leaf extracts. Natural Pharmacy 2003; Sept/Oct 18-19
- Thomsen M, Vitetta L, Sali A: Acute liver failure associated with the use of herbal preparations containing black cohosh MJA 2004; 180 (11): 598-600
- Thomsen M, Vitetta L, Sali A Fatal fulminant hepatic failure induced by a natural therapy containing kava. Med J Aust. 2004 Feb 16;180(4):198-9
- Schmidt M, Betti G, Thomsen M: The WHO guideline on Traceability: A chance for the amelioration of quality and safety of medicinal plant raw material
- Thomsen M, Schmidt M, Betti G, Casabiancad H, Omidbaigie V: Ferula gumosa: phytochemical variability in iran R: Poster presentation International Congress on Natural Products Research July 31 – August 4, 2004 Phoenix, Arizona USA
- Thomsen, M: In the surgery — working with a complementary therapist. J Comp Med 2(1): 2003
- Thomsen M: Quality Control in Herbal Products. Natural Pharmacy 2001; Oct 16-19
- Thomsen M: Herbs for Infants. Natural Pharmacy 2000; May 6-9
- Thomsen M: Botanical Brain Boosters. Natural Pharmacy 2000; June 10-11
- Thomsen M: The Herb-Nutrient Connection. Natural Pharmacy 2000; March 13-15